Wednesday 2 March 2011

Workshop 1- A5 folding

For our first workshop with Richard we were given the task of try to create paper forms using only a single sheet of A5 paper. Furthermore we weren't allowed to cut anything off, we could fold, bend and tear but the design must be able to fold back into a A5 sheet.

So for my first design i decided to keep it basic. I drew a square in the centre of the paper and then drew faint curved like moving out towards the edge. i then used the lines as guides to fold along. Once I'd mountain folded all the lines, the whole page had the raised look to it, giving it a 3D quality to it.



 Looking closer you can see how the page rises at some parts, the thinner part of the fold which is at the top, creates a visual invisible line that people can follow with their eyes.





For some of my other designs i looked to natural for inspiration. The first of these was the sea shell shape. I like the curved natural it has and i thought it would be a great started point for this task




So here is my attempt at recreating the shell shape. It was relatively simple to create, all i did was crease the paper at random intervals which caused it to fold in on itself creating the shell like structure


Moving on, i next looked at the form of ocean waves, the shape the wave create just before crashing back in the ocean was the inspiration for this next piece
So this is what i came up with, again like before all i used was creases, however this time i had to be a lot subtler as it was meant to be a gradual natural curves, apposed to the shell shape which had sharp changes of direction. Overall i think the design was too simplistic however I'm glad i had a go as I've learnt a great deal.

This design created in the workshop was me trying something new as before i had just done folding. I thought it would be a good idea to try out cutting. So with the A5 piece of paper i cut in into equally sized strips and then marked a small slit in the centre of each of them. This allowed me to link all the strips together to create this form


The spiral link pattern demonstrated in the the design above remind me of internal structure of some shells, which just shows how influential natural form are and further more how art design owe a lot to the natural world

No comments:

Post a Comment